Why, oh, why do they have to have three DIFFERENT drop boxes for your Value Added Tax/VAT refund ?!! This process allows a non-EU traveller to get back the VAT on the purchases beyond a certain amount.
Note to self, should I have anything to drop, make sure that I have completely filled up the forms BEFORE leaving for the airport. And watch the drop boxes. The yellow VAT refund drop box is tiny compared to its blue and orange brothers.
This applies if you want your detaxe monies credited back to your Credit Card and not want them back in cash.
Also, the new procedure is as follows :
- go to the Check-In counter and inform the ground crew that you need to go for “detaxe” after check in, present your passport and follow their instructions
- take all your suitcases and handcart with you and proceed to the Customs Office
- Customs Officer will study the forms
- After detaxe forms have been processed, the Customs Officer will take all your suitcases and continue the check in process
- You now have to look for these detaxe dropboxes
- MATCH your envelope with the correct detaxe dropbox.
These drop boxes are not next to the Customs Office but “nearby”.